Saturday, July 30, 2016

Equatorial Africa is COLD

I was not expecting Arusha to be this cold.  We are 3.3 degrees south of the equator for crying out loud.  I did not expect it to be cold.  I have been here before and don't recall Arusha as being cold.  I recalled Ngorongoro Crater rim as being cold, but that is 7,500 ft and, of course, Kilimanjaro was cold at 19,343 ft.

Arusha is up at 4,500 ft on the foothills of Mt. Meru and it is "winter" here so daytime highs are just over 70 and it gets down to 50 at night.  I have to wear a fleece sweater to work where I switch to a white coat. I am just on the cold side all morning since we start hospital rounds with the hospital interior temperature being as low as 60.  Furnaces are pretty much non-existent here. The windows are these louvered arrangements that don't really close and are usually open anyhow for infection control purposes.  Gotta keep the wind blowing through the hospital to blow out the TB bugs.

We have traveled a bit at the lower elevations where it is warmer and dryer.  Somehow that feels more like Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment