Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Great Expectations

I initially thought the drivers in Tanzania were very aggressive.  Now the motorcycle driver's are not aggressive.  They are insane.  I am talking about the car drivers.  They put the nose of their car out into traffic so the highway traffic has to stop to let them in.  Same for making right hand turns in heavy traffic (remember we drive on the left).  I have come to understand those behaviors as being necessary in this large town with somewhere around a half dozen traffic lights in total. One puts the nose of the car out there to "request" entry into traffic with an expectation of benevolence and charity towards other drivers.  This is a hard place to drive so cooperation helps a lot. A braver scenario is passing when there isn't room to pass. The oncoming traffic will slow up to avoid a crash. It is also common to see the passing car straddle the middle of the road while the other two cars move toward the shoulders to create 3 lanes on a 2 lane road. Drivers flash their lights to indicate "please" and "I am making a maneuver to allow you in." For the most part, I don't have Great Expectations of cooperation so I don't nose into traffic much.  Sometimes you just get desperate, though. I doubt I will ever be able to pass head on into oncoming traffic and assume they will avoid crashing into me.

This has nothing to do with my topic but I though a nice photo of a multi-generation herd was more fun than a photo of a traffic jam. Lake Manyara National Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment