Thursday, December 14, 2017

Debi's pre-Thanksgiving post

It is Wednesday night as I write. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. I purposely wanted to stay one time in Tanzania to experience the holidays in this country. 

Ann Rowberg has been here for three weeks and she is helping me prepare the Thanksgiving meal. I do not think I will ever forget this holiday!  It is an exercise in substitution!  We have been working on this for two days!

A turkey is a rare thing and costs 28,000 shillings/ kilo or roughly $7.00/pound. We splurged and got a 8.5 kilo bird! Jacobsons have a weber bbq just like Don has used for years, but the charcoal is very different!  Poor Don!  I have no idea how he will manage, but he always does!

We have invited Erik and Bernice and Wema’s family to join us, plus some  medical students. I delight in including Tanzanians!  Wema’s family has become our Tanzanian family. I cannot explain this relationship. We are sooo different and yet I love them so dearly!  They will probably find our food so strange that they will only take a small bite. They now love guacamole that  they feared  at first!

The cultural differences are hard to describe. When Orjantan heard we were going to serve a turkey, he asked how I could slaughter such a large bird!  You have to laugh picturing  me catching  a bird to slaughter! 

We will celebrate this American holiday in this foreign place with food substitution galore!...With people of all faiths!  Isn't celebrating gratitude and Thanksgiving  universal???  I know I am grateful for  another year of life!  I am grateful for a husband who has exposed me to this part of the world. Honestly, it is hard to describe!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
❤️Debi

I am living between worlds. I am struggling to figure out how I can belong in this very strange place. So on the brink of this holiday, let me say I am thinking of you....and wishing you a happy Thanksgiving. 

Sunset from Baraka Beach on Zanzibar.

No comments:

Post a Comment