Friday, July 7, 2017

Don's entry. Saba Saba holiday trip to Meru View Lodge.

We went to Meru View Lodge for the Saba Saba 3 day weekend. Debi is sitting on our porch saying, "Stop taking  pictures and start playing cribbage."

The grounds and swimming pool. This is where we had afternoon tea every day.
Fabulous flowers in their garden grounds.  This is heliconia, I think

no idea



no idea

We live on the south side of Mt Meru.  This is the east side.  It creates its own cloud cover.  On my AM bike ride, I was glad to see the top of Meru poking out of the clouds so I thought I had a good view until..... 
the wind pushed the clouds around some more. I realized I had been seeing only the south rim on the left.  Look to the right and you will see the lower north rim. Meru (just a whisker under 15,000 ft high) used to be thousands of feet higher before the top blew off thousands of years ago.The center part is a huge crater. I got a good view of the crater when I climbed Meru with my brother, Erik, years ago.  I got to the top and posed for Meru summit photos then turned around to look at the mountain. I discovered that I was standing on the very edge of the tallest cliff in Africa.  I was looking down between my toes - straight down 3000 ft.



We made some friends on this trip.  In the dining room, we talked to the delightful couple at the next table.  Now we have friends from Dubai. He is in finance and she's a pharmacist. Then on the trip back down the mountain to go home, we came across a bicyclist jogging with his bicycle on the side of the road.  Always a bad sign.  We stopped to offer assistance.  His front tire inner tube was flat and irreparable. He works at the Danish Institute that is on the way home for us so we put his bike on our bike rack and took him home.  He works at the MS TCDC, a Danish NGO, that has been putting on seminars teaching principles in leadership, governance, accountability - those democracy kind of things for 50 years.  Their campus is like a huge park. He paid us for the lift by giving us ideas for other get-aways.  We constantly meet amazing people here.

Don

No comments:

Post a Comment