Monday, December 12, 2016

Debi's entry August Safari

We just returned from our last getaway in Tanzania. Erik, Bernice, Nashesha, Wema, Don and I took off on Friday afternoon for a luxury camp at Lake Challa which is northeast of Moshi. We were very close to the border of Kenya and we had a great view of Mt Kilimanjaro from the north. It looks very different than the way we usually see it from the south.  It is obvious it used to be much higher....reminded us of Mt St Helens. 


On the way there we got to drive again on the dirt roads of TZ. At one point we heard a rather loud explosion similar to the sound we heard on the Serengetti. I was sure something new was broken on the car. About a kilometer later two men from a village waved their arms at us and seemed quite concerned and they offered to help us. I got out and was shocked to see a totally destroyed right front tire! I cannot believe I could not tell!  I guess that shows how bad the roads are!  We have plenty of tread on the tires....what we lack are sturdy side walls. These tires were meant for Japan, not TZ!  We are so thankful this did not happen in the middle of the Serengeti!


Our camp was situated above Lake Challa which is a crater lake. . EBN and Wema hiked down to the lake and Wema got her first swimming lessons and a ride in a kayak.  She loved it!  In fact this was the highlight of her weekend!


On Saturday morning Don got up early and went biking with E&N. i woke up and was surprised that Don was being so noisy as he is usually so quiet. As my eyes opened I looked straight ahead and was shocked to see a HUGE baboon sitting on our porch rail!  His pose was hilarious. Instead of being hunched over as they usually are, he was stretched out with his back arched. He looked like he was King of the Porch!  Then things started to move and I realized there were about a DOZEN baboons on the porch!  They are really big up close!  Several little faces were pressed against the glass looking at me!  When I started to move slowly to get my phone to take a picture, the ones looking at me gave a loud alert as if to say SHE'S AWAKE! They scattered very quickly. Don had closed the glass door when he left but he did not lock it. We had been warned over and over at the Four Season Resort to lock the doors to the deck when we were inside because the baboons knew how to get in and they would make a big mess. I was remembering their admonition and was very happy they took off....I just wished I could have gotten a picture! All in all it was a great weekend. In the six months we have been here we have taken six weekend trips with EBN.  It has been great to make memories together!
>
Last Thursday I drove Wema and Upendo and Herison to Moshi to get his glasses. I really wanted to go because I still had questions about his diagnosis, treatment and prognosis. Finally I understand. His problems are congenital and not due to an infection. He has scarring on his retinas and is completely blind in one eye and has very poor vision in the other. The glasses were ordered in hopes of improving his vision and to provide protection. Indeed, his vision did improve a bit but he can still only see letters on the second or third line from the top of the eye chart. They will check him again in two months in hopes there is no further deterioration. 


We leave on Saturday, October 29. I have my 5th dental appointment to complete my toot canal and crown later today. I hope this gets finished!  Now we are turning our attention to packing up. Nothing is easy.... today we are out of water again!  Ah, the adventures of living in Tanzania!

No comments:

Post a Comment